remote installs?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Mar 2 19:33:21 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 00:23, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I have a Redhat Enterprise 3 AS install to do tonight.  The machine isn't
> located in one of the buildings where I have an office, so sitting there
> waiting for it to finish installing would be a pain.  I'd prefer it if I
> could walk over, start up the install, and walk back to my relatively cozy
> office.  :)
>
> I've been experimenting with VNC as a way of doing installs.  It seems to
> work great, but I've been doing it by popping in the first cdrom,
> launching a VNC install, and then doing things remotely.  The problem is,
> that after the install is done, that cdrom is still in the cd drive, so
> the reboot after the install comes back up off of the install cdrom.
>
> Is there some way of ejecting the cdrom in such a way that it won't be
> reloaded, via VNC, or something like that?
Are you installing from a network resource like NFS, ftp, http, or even a
local Hard Disk? (I would assume so, as you won't be there to swap CDs).
Is that's the case, once the install has begun (ie, you are past the "running
anaconda..." message, you should be able to physically eject the CD at that
point as it is no longer playing an active part in the process...

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
I'd rather just believe that it's done by little elves running around.