Awk scripting Question

Simran H. redhat at chamkila.org
Thu Mar 3 00:01:28 UTC 2005

Hey Guys,

I am trying to do some cleanup work on one of my linux systems and am
having problems with a script that I am writing.. Hopefully someone here
can help me out:

ls /home_nfs >> /tmp/users
foreach user(`cat /tmp/users`)
        (echo `grep '/$user:' /home/Home_Script/passwd` | awk -F : '{print
$6}' | awk -F / '{print "/"$2"/"$3}' >> /tmp/home_dir)
end

It looks like the script is failing at the echo `grep '/$user:'
/home/Home_Script/passwd` part.. Anyone know what I am doing wrong.

What I am trying to achieve is this:

I have a file /tmp/users with all usernames and I want to grep for those
users names in /etc/passwd and create another directory with just the home
dir entries.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance.