failed to install MySQL in RedHat Ent

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Mar 5 07:19:23 UTC 2005

jim martin wrote:
> Hi.. I have problem installing MySQL server in my
> RedHat Enterprises 3.0 box. It was not installed with
> MySQL
>
> I used this command RH#up2date -d -i mysql and it
> download the mysql-3.23.58-2.3 from RHN
>
> But when I typed mysql -usa
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
> through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> it means my sa password is wrong then what is default
> password then ?

Couple of things....

1.  The taroon list is the best place for RHELv3 queries.

2.  From RHN you want the mysql-server-3.23.58-2.3 from the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS (v. 3 for x86) Extras channel.

Ed

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".