Can't able to create user with DOTS in their name?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Mar 7 15:02:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:18:50AM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> Navneet:
>
> You're really better off not using usernames with . in them, anyhow.  You
> can just as easily set up aliases for their email.

That's true but he may also be using that old server currently for pop or
imap.  Then he needs to figure out how to migrate to a new server yet
not have his users need to update all their clients.  uw-imapd doesn't
have a local user database - it just uses pam - so that's not a option.
I haven't looked at dovecot or one of the other pop/imap servers to see
if that will help him.

It's the initial migration that has the issues - not setting up new
users.

It's also important to note that newer distributions don't allow
uppercase letters in usernames either.  Duplicating the passwd and group
entries from an older release works fine though.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA