Boot CD and Booting with XP:

Michael Yanowitz yanowitzmjy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 19:14:28 UTC 2005

Hello:

   I've got a new PC that came with XP installed. I
added Red Hat Fedora. I have not been able to boot
into Linux. The first time, I tried, I overwrote the MBR
and couldn't boot into either.  The computer does not
have a floppy drive, but I can boot off of a CD.
   So my questions are thus:

1) How do I create a boot CD? (Do the instructions for
    a boot floppy appy to CDs)?

2) I tried to update GRUB to boot off of something other
    than the MBR but it wouldn't let me save the configuration
   unless I changed the kernel. So how can I update GRUB to boot both XP and
Linux? Any advice:

D:  Primary FAT32  3.5GB
C:  Primary NTFS   48.8GB
*   Primary  Linux Ext3  103MB
*   Extended
*   Logical   Linux Ext3  21.1GB
*   Logical   Linux Swap 988MB

3) What is the best way to set this up for dual boot?

Thanks in advance