nfsd/portmapper and iptables on Linux 4

James Cooley jcooley at fit.edu
Fri Mar 11 19:21:42 UTC 2005

Ben,

No problem.  O'Reilly makes a cheap pocket reference for iptables called
"Linux iptables Pocket reference" which can be had from bookstores for
about $10, or bookpool.com for around $6.  It's fairly good at
explaining the syntax and getting you up to speed with creating rules.

I still prefer the ipfw rule format in FreeBSD to the iptables in Linux,
but you have to use what you've got.  The random port assignments throw
a lot of people for a loop, and usually the offenders are only RPC based
services.  The nfs random ports drove me nuts for quite a awhile, and I
never found a solution to it until I just 'tried' putting the services
in /etc/services.

In any case, I'm just glad I could be of some help.

--James Cooley