Cannot Login using GUI

Stefan Heline stefan.heline at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 15 01:54:42 UTC 2005

First, I'll qualify my question with the fact that I am relatively new
at managing Linux.  Right now, I cannot login to either my user account
or root through the GUI login page.  Before I had this problem, I had
changed my authentication settings to use LDAP.  I probably should've
tried to setup the LDAP services prior to rebooting, but I had another
problem requiring me to reboot.

When I came back to the login screen neither account could login.  I am
able to boot the machine under SINGLE USER mode and I've been looking
for ways to revert back to the original login scheme.  I found the
authconfig file and change the use LDAP settings to no, but I didn't
change anything else.  One behavior that I've noticed, is that when I
type in a username and password that I know don't work, I get a message
"Incorrect username or password ..".  When I use the known
username/password pair, I get a popup dialog with a message
"Authentication Failed" and I need to click OK to continue.

Any idea how to revert to the standard authentication scheme?  It won't
be much to re-install, but if I can avoid it that would be great.  I'm
learning quite a bit just trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks.

Stefan