Can't play mp3 files, in XMMS in Red Hat 9.0

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Mar 16 12:18:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:07:37 -0800 (PST), Manoj Kumar wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'am not able to play mp3 songs using the XMMS player in Red Hat Linux 9.0. It says mp3 files not supported in the current release.
>
> Can some body help me out with this. I would like to listen to songs when working.

The reason why mp3 support (and other technology) is not included is
documented here:  http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_80mm.html

But you can install the add-on package xmms-mp3 from http://rpm.livna.org
be sure to follow the documentation on its website.

You can also browse the package directories manually and install rpms
manually if you are familiar with solving dependencies yourself:

  http://rpm.livna.org/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/
  http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/

A convenient way to install extra packages is to use the Yum tool, e.g.
as explained here,  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FedoraHOWTO
by installing

  http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/yum-2.0.3-0.fdr.1.rh90.noarch.rpm

and following the Red Hat Linux specific section of
http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html

Then, a simple "yum install xmms-mp3" would do the rest for you.