close file descriptor on other process

James Cooley jcooley at fit.edu
Thu Mar 17 04:06:38 UTC 2005

A lot of processes respond to a hangup signal, and release and regrab file
descriptors without shutting down.  You just do a kill -HUP pid and it
should do the trick.  Athough I highly doubt the -HUP signal would cause
any problem, you may want to wait until a time where it wouldn't cause as
many problems if it did cause a problem with the process.

You might be able to find info in the applications documentation about
whether or not it responds to a hangup.

Doing a kill -HUP on a process is how many systems handle rotating logfiles:

move logfile
create new logfile
kill -HUP the process so it releases the handle on the old file and grabs
the new file

--James Cooley