Java plug-in for RH 9 2.4.20.31.9

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Mar 23 14:56:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:13:29 -0500, Mathew Nowend wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am trying to install Java plug in to Firefox 1.0. I have done this
> on earlier versions of RH and on Fedora core 2 and 3 without any
> problems.  I have contacted both Mozilla and Sun Microsystems and of
> course after explaining in detail the steps I took for installation
> they both claimed it was a RH issue.  I am  stuck.  Was wondering if
> anyone else has run into this problem and if so has a work around?

You didn't describe what problems you've had.

I'd like to recommend  http://www.jpackage.org  where you can get a
nosrc.rpm which you can use to build Java rpms from Sun's tarball. The
resulting java plugin package installs fine and is available in Mozilla
and Firefox without problems.

Of course, you can always choose to prefer the route of installing
Java manually and creating also plugin softlinks manually.