Linux vs Windows (Postgres)

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at cariboo.bc.ca
Thu Mar 24 18:25:43 UTC 2005

Let me add to this list if I may :

Windows security updates cmoe out soemtimes 2wice a week, requiring you
to reboot your server.
In an enterprise environment, rebooting your main data server can have
some ugly consequences, let
alone doing it 2wice a week.

Code Accountablitity : In an open source environment, if a group states
that a piece of software or operating
system does 'X'.  Others can actually check to make sure it is correct
and true.  The proof is in the code.
With locked box systems (Windows, Solaris < 10..etc) Users are forced
to take the companie's word that
what they say is true.  The  most extreme case where this hurt the
community : Microsoft says Windows 2000 was secure..and it was far from
it as we saw mutliple viruses take them down to their knees with a bug
they knew about when they shipped.

In the open source community, that particular bugged would have been
detected, dealt with and documented before it was
slated for release.

Linux is cheaper :-)

Wayner

>>> bob at netprt.com 03/24/05 9:18 am >>>
Only a few reasons why that I can think of.

-Linux scales to multiple processors and multiple processor types.

-You can move PostgreSQL to larger UNIX boxes other than Linux,
and can be sure that it will run.

-PostgreSQL is originally a UNIX based solution, and most of the
tools that are available run on UNIX platforms.

-Windows costs more to scale than Linux.  Windows costs more to
manage and maintain than Linux.

-Linux threading is stronger than Windows, and supports multiple
processes better, resulting in reduced equipment costs and longer
equipment rotations.

-UNIX solutions are inherently more secure and less subject
to break-in, reducing the theft potential by break-in or corruption
by virus.  Windows platforms are notoriously weak with respect
to virus protection.  Management and maintenance costs would
be reduced.

-Windows upgrade cycle is consistently about 2-3 years to replacement,
resulting in higher equipment replacement costs.

-The Windows solution is only recent.  It's usually a good idea
to let the technology mature a bit before trusting an Enterprise
solution to it.

-There is a lot of support from other UNIX-based PostgreSQL users.

HTH,

-Bob