two subnets thru same wire - netmask

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 27 15:50:21 UTC 2005

Shiraz Baig wrote:

> So, please give your comments again. With the netmask
> 255.255.255.0 will host A be able to talk to C and
> host B talk to host B.

Yes.

A can communicate with C.

B can communicate with D.

A cannot communicate with B.  (You don't have a router in your picture.)

C cannot communicate with D.

I didn't think this list was for "academic questions".  :-)
Can I suggest some good networking basics books?

Could there be problems?  Yes...  Read up on ARP, MAC addresses, and how
things work on the wire.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".