RE: Delete Files based on Date

Thank you, Ed and Stephen.  The find worked like a charm.

And, yes, VMS does kick butt.  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com]On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:43 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Delete Files based on Date

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:30:23AM -0600, Kelley Coleman med va gov wrote:
> I'm somewhat hampered by my OpenVMS experience with this problem.

VMS forever!!!

> I need a script that will remove all but the latest five files in a
> folder.  There is only one file per day and I want to keep five days
> worth.

There are couple of options - find and tmpwatch.  Here are some examples:
find /var/log/samba -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \;
tmpwatch 120 /var/log/samba
tmpwatch --nodirs --mtime 120/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/

Both will do what you want. You can look at the various timestamps to
see if you want to base your deletion on created time, modified time, or
access time.

Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts ewilts org