Compiling kernel rpm

Blair Lowe redhat at zedemail.ca
Mon May 2 02:46:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 11:05, Otto Haliburton wrote:

> > on
> > > >
> > > If you know how to build the kernel, then when you do menuconfig, or th
> > > xconfig, you need to config the smp processor stuff, unless I'm confused
> > by
> > > what you are asking.  I don't think you are going to get any other
> > --
> respectfully, I just told you, use the configuration programs to configure
> for smp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Otto.

The appropriate answer to this one is:

rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.4.spec

you need the i686 in order to build the smp stuff, otherwise it will not
build it.

Rebuilding the kernel using make menuconfig etc. is OK for a one off
purpose, but not for multiple machine deployment (the whole purpose of
rpm).

In fact I rarely use make menuconfig because it is not reproduce-able.
If you are doing red hat stuff, and know how to build RPM's, then
editing or patching a config file is much better so that you can create
an rpm for 100's or thousands of machines, and not just one, or for one
image.

TAFN,
Blair.

--
.ca DOMAINS:    https://www.domainsunder.ca     Computer Engineering Inc.
Tel 780 450 8494 or TOLL FREE 1 877 968 7626 (9-5 Mountain Time)