Compiling kernel rpm

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Mon May 2 10:20:23 UTC 2005

See, I didn't think you had read the post or thread.  The thread started
 out
 saying how do I compile the kernel thread, when I do I don't get the smp
 version.  If you have built a kernel then you know that smp is a option in
 the config file and that when you recompile the kernel you don't know
 whether the smp option is selected or not and the only way you get there
 is
 by doing a menuconfig or xconfig to turn on the option and further unless
 you specifically label this kernel then you won't know that it is selected.
 Secondly, if you have the processors for smp then that is what you want,
 and
 in general, you can select smp because it will work with machines that
 don't
 have multiple processors.  It would help in these threads if you closely
 read what people are saying.  The implications in the post that I responded
 to, not requested is the person had not built a kernel and was at least
 shaky about how to do it cause he was thinking that when you recompile the
 kernel you will get multiple kernels out there with one of them being a
 smp
 kernel as is done when a updated kernel is provided!!!!  In fact, the
 recompile only provides one kernel the one that you are building.