Second Try: Kernel update not recognized

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat May 14 10:19:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:07:02 -0400, sancho wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Let me try once more on this problem, any and all suggestions are
> welcome. I've tried to search this one out but am getting confusing
> information from online materials. Thanks in advance.
>
>   I have been using RHN to update RH9(AS) kernel for quite some time

What is "RH9(AS)"?

Judging from the kernel versions you mention, you seem to have Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3 (common short name "RHEL3").

>   without incident. As of Kernel release RH 2.4.21-27.0.1EL (and for 2
>   since then to ...0.4EL) the new kernel never has shown up on the GRUB
>   boot page list. I found all 3 versions in the /boot directory... but the
>   ones available, I can't see...
>
>   Only thing I can imagine is that the /boot partition doesn't have enough
>   space for them and RPM has dumped them to /boot in the normally
>   available space. For the life of me can't remember/find the key to
>   checking this out and setting it right.
>
>   Any hints?

Well, for the beginning, how much space is left on /boot partition?
Why did you keep a third old kernel?
What do you see in /boot/grub/grub.conf?
What do you get for "rpm --query kernel"?
What do you get for "rpm --verify --all 'kernel*'"?

--
Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1303_FC4
loadavg: 1.06 0.99 0.64