MCAL and PHP

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 24 00:44:50 UTC 2005

James Cooley wrote:
> Do you have the gettext-devel package installed? This package is
> required to link software to the gettext libraries.
>
> The command:
>
> rpm -qa | grep gettext
>
> will show you if you have gettext and gettext-devel installed.
>
> To install the package from the net, do:
>
> up2date --install gettext-devel

Too bad that RHELv3 has no gettext-devel RPM.  :-)

The gettext RPM description says:

The GNU gettext package provides a set of tools and documentation for
producing multi-lingual messages in programs. Tools include a set of
conventions about how programs should be written to support message
catalogs, a directory and file naming organization for the message
catalogs, a runtime library which supports the retrieval of translated
messages, and stand-alone programs for handling the translatable and
the already translated strings. Gettext provides an easy to use
library and tools for creating, using, and modifying natural language
catalogs and is a powerful and simple method for internationalizing
programs.

Could it be that the libraries are in a place different from where the
configure routine is searching?  Maybe one needs to point to something
like...  /usr/lib/libgettextlib.la ?

I'm just guessing here.