streaming audio/video on linux

Sean O Sullivan seanos at netsoc.itcarlow.ie
Wed May 25 16:07:48 UTC 2005

Jessica Zhu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We need to set up a streaming audio/video server on linux.
>
>There are two kernel versions here. One is old 2.2.24-7.0.3enterprise and
>another is 2.4.21-4.EL. Could anyone recommend a good package(audio,
>video, or both)?
>
>I did some search myself. It seemed that a lot people use
>realplayer(audio/video), aumix(audio). I need to set up a server within
>two days. So instead of doing a lot of investigation myself, I'd like to
>hear the opinion from experienced people here.
>
>Thanks in advance for any input.
>
>Jessica

 would say it depends very much on how much you've to spend.

Real is probably one of the best I have used, however, it comes with the
huge downside of license costs.
The older real server, now replaced by Helix Universal server streams
about any format (real, wm, flash (upto 4), and quicktime), and works
very well (hell of a lot nicer/better than WM in my experience).
Downside is license costs are quite high, so if it's company/corporate
venture, I'd suggest Real most defintely.

Regards,

Sean