Which Kernel to use, .EL or .ELsmp

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 26 15:09:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 linux at fritzenwallner.org wrote:

> I have a HP workstation (xw4200) running with a single CPU (3GHz Pentium
> 4). Shoud I use the standard Kernel 2.4.21-...EL or the multiprocessor
> kernel 2.4.21-...ELsmp?
>
> I assume that the standard Kernel is the best for my computer, or doesn't
> it matter?

If your machine only has one core on the die then you should probably stick
with the non-SMP kernel (although running the SMP kernel won't cause any
harm).  If you have more than one core (i.e. you have HyperThreading
available and enabled) then you can try the SMP kernel and linux will
report two CPUs.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.