Squeaky newbie

Tom McCaffrey tmcca at ncmich.edu
Thu May 26 16:17:15 UTC 2005

Years ago, (maybe three or four?) I purchased RedHat 6.0 but never installed it.
Today I decided to give it a shot and did manage to install it (server version) and
got it to boot up and even logged in successfully as root.
But.. this is all I've done. Don't know where to go from this point and the manuals I
got with the program are... well... manuals.
What I am wondering is if anyone knows where I might find a tutorial that will skip
all the blather and enlighten me as to how to set this thing up - with security.

The computer is an old Ultra, 450 Mhz with 320 MB Ram and a 10-gig HD.
There is a Kingston 10/100 in it although the install called it something else (I forget) but
appears to work.
I have it set to dhcp (I am on a network here where I work).

I have always been a dos/windows (all flavors) user and very briefly messed with BSD Unix
just a scoush. Not installing it - but just using the system prompt.. Pine and just enough other
commands to be dangerous.

Thanks you for suffering my newness and TIA for any info

Tom
dangerous content by NCMC, and is believed to be clean.