Squeaky newbie

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri May 27 14:18:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 08:24:13AM -0400, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> Oh yes - on my previous posts - i forgot to mention to upgrade the kernel and gcc and all libraries.  6.0 can be made secure - it just isn't out of the box.

If I remember right, there were vulnerabilities in the 2.2 kernel that
were never addressed so you could experience a local root exploit if you
have untrusted users on your system (or somebody gets in as a normal
user).  Re-reading the original post, however, I see that the system is
an Ultra 450 which implies Sun, not Intel, so some of my suggestions and
observations may not be accurate - I've not worked with Linux on Sun
before.

I've still got a production mail server sitting on a P2/400 running RHL
6.1.  We were "fine" until until we got slammed with 40K spam messages
last week :-(.  This system is in the process of being replaced with a
dual Xeon 3.4Ghz running RHEL 4.  A small upgrade (but long overdue).

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org