Are Red Hat changing philosophy of updates?

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Fri May 20 22:29:37 UTC 2005

I've just received a "Welcome to Red Hat Advisor" email.  It
talks about a RHEL3U5 Beta and RHEL4U1 Beta.

I was under the impression (including based on a reply I think I
got on this list) that the updates were merely a repackaging of
the previous update plus all rpms upgraded since that time.
Thus there would be no difference between installing an early
update plus running up2date as opposed to installing the latest
update.

Mentioning a beta seems to suggest that the product being beta-ed
is something more that simply a repackaging.

Is Red Hat about to confuse things or is there some other reason
for releasing betas of updates?
--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com