Sun Grid Engine

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:51:12 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I need some quick pointers on a question posed by one of my clients;

They have a significant (to them) investment in RHEL, on x86 hardware.  They
would like to leverage these resources better for their CPU-intensive jobs,
and I am their go-to guy for recommendations.

That said, I now turn to you guys for answers to a couple things that Google
was less than clear on.  So far, I only know of Mosix, Beowulf, Sun Grid
Engine, and RHEL Clustering.  Are there others in production?

The client's software is all 3rd party, closed-source, but built for, and
currently running on, SMP RHEL.  This means a cluster solution is probably
not going to work for me, right?  So no RHEL or Beowulf clusters.  Or hot
grits. ;)  (Please forgive the /. reference, I couldn't help it.)

Now that leaves me with grids; I think if Sun delivers on what they promise
in their PR, it will be my 1st choice.  Do any of you have experience with
their Open-Source Grid Engine on x86 RHEL?  Does it even run on RHEL3
machines?  Their faq is awfully vague on that point.  If so, do you have
horror stories?  Is it smooth sailing?  I would love the advice of some
seasoned vets to help me decide here...

Finally, MOSIX.  It seems to have a long history, back to PDP-11s & Bell
Labs, but it seems to be an educational system, and not aimed at the
enterprise level.  Am I wrong?

Your valuable input is greatly appreciated;

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
EVI Logistic Enterprises
email: me at gavitron.com