Why does 'cp -f' not work anymore?

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Nov 2 19:04:43 UTC 2005

Cameron Simpson <mailto:cs at zip.com.au>
    on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 4:32 PM said:

> Even easier is to quote just one character instead of the whole word:
>
>   \cp -f newfile.txt this-has-to-go.txt

I've sinced just changed the original alias to be only 'cp' (although I
guess I might as well get rid of the alias altogether...).

But what I'm finding now is that it's not confirming an overwrite at all
now.

Originally the problem was that even 'cp -f' resulted in an overwrite
confirmation. What I want to happen is that 'cp' will ask me for
permission to overwrite and 'cp -f' will not. Is that possible? Or do I
just have to remember to type 'cp -i'?

Am I making sense?

Thanks,
Chris.