[Q] way to rescan and load new SCSI device on Redhat AS?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Nov 3 03:37:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:48:46PM -0700, Lutz Birkhahn wrote:
> mcclnx mcc wrote:
> > We have  Redhart AS 3.4 on DELL server (2650).  Every
> > time external SCSI device add/remove, we need reboot
> > the server to see the new device.
> >
> > Does there has program on Redhat 3 which can rescan
> > SCSI device and load into kernel?
>
> You might give this script a try:
> http://www.linux1394.org/scripts/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

That works, just don't run multiple copies of this script at the same
time, you'll hit race conditions in the 2.4 kernels which will hang or
panic your system.  It doesn't deal well with one process trying to
add a device, while another process tries to delete the same or an
adjacent device in the device list.  This is resolved in the 2.6
kernels.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect