Streaming audio from the command line?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Nov 7 19:59:28 UTC 2005

I'm trying to build a number of what will basically amount to fancy
network-connected speakers: a headless Redhat box connected to the
network that plays an audio stream from a Shoutcast or Shoutcast-style
server (i.e., from a .pls file).  My preference would be to run
everything from the command line, since I'll be using old, slow
hardware, but I've been unable to find any apps to do this.  amaroK
or XMMS will play streaming audio, of course, but I'd like to avoid
firing up X.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University