Protect sendmail from DoS

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Mon Nov 7 20:58:14 UTC 2005

I have 3 huge servers 4 cpus each....(Dell 2850 ~ 4 gig of ram, Dell
6850 ~ 12 gig of ram Dell 2650 ~ 4 gig of ram) dedicated to incoming
mail.

During a really severe spam & bounce attack, The lowest MX (2850) gets
overloaded so the next MX (6850) takes the load, then that gets
overloaded and the final box (2650) gets almost overloaded.....So so far
in 18 months I have kept on line but only just........the last server
had a Load of 4~6....the other 2, 25+......

These attacks are dictionary attacks usually coming from multiple
sources, they load up our 20Mbit/sec pipe for 5 ~ 20 minutes then
disappear....sometimes we have no attacks for days, other times we get
4+ an hour....

Then we have the constant pounding of relay attacks....DNS attacks....I
had to separate those and outgoing mail out onto 3 new Dell 1850s....

I have 3 different anti-virus products to try and stop phishing and
virus attacks....

Normal email traffic I reckon I could run off a Pentium Pro 200 with 64
meg of ram.....

So the spammers have cost us in excess of $80kNZ on servers just to keep
online.....

That does not include the biggest Fortinet multiblade firewall we could
buy.....

Regards

Thing