spotty access to web server

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Wed Nov 9 19:28:54 UTC 2005

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
> Is the problem maybe upstream?  Is the firewall (which you don't
> control, and I do feel your pain) getting overwhelmed and your
> outsourcer is not willing to do anything about it cause it's not in the
> contract?  If you are not showing anything in the access or error logs,
> then I would suggest that they are plain not getting to your box.
>
> The body that controls your firewall needs to participate in your
> troubleshooting process.
>
> My $0.02
>
> Regards, Marshall
>
> P.S. I can get to your site with no problems.

The problem seems to be that ALL machines behind one of this person's
NATs (he controls three) cannot access my web server. I am at a loss as
to why. [I hesitate to suggest that he compare all three NATs to see how
this one is different, but that is all I can think of.]

BTW, none of those machines behind that NAT can run traceroute, as he
doesn't allow traceroute through his NAT. The traceroute he sent to me
was run from his DMZ: not exactly helpful.

Bill