Non-root users cannot run Xwindow

Aaron White awhite at ioppolo.com.au
Thu Nov 10 23:45:30 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a user trying to run windowed apps from command line, without
success.  It seems to work okay with root access, but our current
situation does not allow for this.

For example, trying to open xclock as non-root user gives the error:
	Xlib: No protocol specified.

	Error: Can't open display: :0.0

We are connected using VNC Viewer (or remote shell) and do not have
access to the local site.

Another windowed program gives a java error:
	~/jre/1.4.2/lib/i386/libawt.so: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6:
undefined symbol: _Xsetlocale

I'm not sure if the two are related, but our installation docs suggested
using xclock to help troubleshoot
this problem.  Alas, the docs did not mention what to do if xclock did
*not* start.

Regards,

Aaron White
Ioppolo & Associates