Non-root users cannot run Xwindow

Rhugga Harper rhugga at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 01:10:38 UTC 2005

That means that user doesn't have permission to use the local xserver.
Typically the user that logs into the console 'owns' the display.

The easy fix is this:

As the user logged into the console:
xhost +

Then as the using you want to run the X app:
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 (probably not needed but depends on
envrionment)
xterm &

That should do it for you.

If you are using to access this box, check if the sshd server has
X11Forwarding enabled (I believe it is by default for most distro's)

Then login an enable X tunnelling:

ssh -x <server>

Note: You can permanently enabled this in the ssh_config file on your client
system, or by creating a $HOME/.ssh/config file.

-CC