Hyperthreading/Dual core CPU's

Richard Miguel San Martín rmiguel at senamhi.gob.pe
Fri Nov 11 16:12:34 UTC 2005

Yes, i have disabled HT on my machines too, but that is because i dont have
any application that use this feature. I dont have Dual core processors, but
i think acquire some machines next year. In my case, i have meteorological
applications, this is the principal reason.

Cheers,

R. MIguel

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:55:45 -0600, Rhugga Harper wrote
> I would disable hyper-threading. We have 24k+ hosts (Mostly 2650's
> and 2850's) and saw nothing but problems with hyperthreading on
> nearly every distro: RH AS 2.1, 3 and SLES 9. In many cases it
> actually inhibited performance. There is a very small niche of
> applications that can benefit from hyperthreading. (Our hosts are
> mostly oracle rac's, application servers, and other various middle-
> tier applications) Note that the problems with hyper-threading
> surface under heavy enterprise loads, which of course is where you
> would need it.
>
> Go with AMD and their HypeTransport / dual-core. Much better performance
> accross the boards IMHO.
>
> -rhugga
>
> On 11/11/05, Mike Ault <mike at ault.cc> wrote:
> >
> > As long as you load the SMP version it should see them. If not there is a
> > relink option to turn on hyperthreading for the CPUs.
> >
> > Mike

Richard Miguel San Martin
Administrador de Sistemas
     CPN  - SENAMHI