IMAP and Sendmail server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Nov 14 00:43:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 01:08:43PM +1300, Steven Jones wrote:
> Cyrus Imap seems way complex, hard to setup.....install rh3, it has a
> simple imap....I just downgraded for this very reason...

Cyrus IMAP isn't designed for the small home user - this is a high-end
IMAP application that is much more suitable for a large ISP or an
enterprise where the IMAP users may not even have logins on the system.

For smaller environments, install dovecot instead and you'll be much happier.
It's easily as simple as the old uw-imap was.  In fact, I believe all I
did was install the rpm and I was ready to go without any extra hassles.

I believe what Red Hat needs to do is rename the RPMs so that people
know they should be looking for dovecot and not make the same mistake I
did.  I searched the package list for something with imap in it, found
cyrus, and beat my head into a wall for a few hours.  I eventually
stumbled on dovecot and it's been great ever since.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org