Apache cluster?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:12:26 UTC 2005

GFS is kind of overkill if there's no dynamic content, and I've not
heard good things about its stability, either.

By "dynamic content," I mean anything like a database backend.  The
setup I described below depends on the web servers never needing to
alter the content they serve.  If users can add content -- comments,
orders, anything -- then you'll need a writable mount, in which case
you'll need to look into MySQL Cluster, Oracle RAC, or something like
that.

To do a DNS round-robin, I think you'd just create an alias to both
boxes, something like this:

box1	 IN		  A		192.168.0.1
box2	 IN		  A		192.168.0.2
www	 IN		  CNAME	box1.example.com
www	 IN		  CNAME	box2.example.com

_I THINK_.  Check with your local DNS/Bind expert first. :)

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University