Any home users on the list?

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 00:04:37 UTC 2005

Not to start an RWAR here, but as much as I promote RHEL for my enterprise
clients, when it comes to a home system, I really prefer slackware...

Not that I haven't tried my share of Distributions either, but in practice,
I find that slackware will teach you the most about how the internals of
Linux work.  Every roadblock I ever came across was well documented in the
pertinent config files, and I find it closer in "feel" to the big-iron
unices, like Solaris.  RHEL (and SUSE, and Debian,) hide too much of the
config behind other applications.  Not to say that's a bad thing, but if you
want to really _learn_ how your machine works, clicking buttons won't teach
you anything.

For instance, find out how to rename a RHEL machine after the installer has
finished, or change the network config.  It's all under /etc/sysconfig in
RHEL, but in slackware, you edit the script that brings up the interfaces,
(etc/rc.d/rc.inet1) where the real magic happens.  Same thing with getting X
running.  Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I really liked XF86Config, once I
knew what I was doing.

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
EVI Logistic Enterprises