Converting from Xwindows to Text mode

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 14:54:36 UTC 2005

I am trying to convert an Xwindow machine into a text
mode one. So, that when I login, I go to the Text
mode. And then use startx, whenever I wish to do so,
to go to Xwindows.

I have made two changes to /etc/inittab
One is the default line, where I changed runlevel 5 to
3. Then in the end the respawn line, where I changed
runlevel 5 to 3.

But, still my machine logs into Xwindows. I thought,
there might be some command in system-wide profile
file or somewhere. So, I renamed the startx command.
But it still did not work. I did not try renaming xdm
and xinit. My machine still boots into Xwindows mode.

Could someone, tell me, why my machine is not booting
into a text mode, when I have changed the inittabe
file.
thanks.
bye
shiraz