process status D

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at amecnnc.com
Fri Oct 14 07:14:12 UTC 2005

Alessandro,

As far as I know, you can't.  The process (and I stand to be corrected here)
is a dead process and doesn't consume any (or at least very many) processor
cycles, but usually shows as a load on the cpu (i.e. top will show a load of
1.00 for each dead process).  The only way we have found to get rid of dead
processes is to reboot.

If anyone knows of a way to kill dead processes without a reboot, then I
will be very grateful.

Andrew