sendmail losing e-mails

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:15:04 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Shaw, Marco
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:03 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RE: sendmail losing e-mails

>> Is it possible that some certain keywords are flagged, and the
>> email marked as spam?
>>
>> Might want to run a tcpdump to see the SMTP commands go back
>> and forth.

> Could it be the specific SMTP server that I actually log into
> that does
> this?  I see from /var/log/maillog that the IP address of the
> SMTP server is
> different each time.
>
> How do I run a tcpdump? And what am I looking for when I do this?

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't have time to go through this in any
details.

'man tcpdump' will certainly help as well as Ethereal, but this all
depends on your level of experience.  If you haven't used tcpdump
before, you may not be ready to look at the packet level communications
between you and your ISP, as wells as the SMTP commands in the packets.

I'd contact your ISP to see how easy it is for you to get a copy of
their
SMTP logs.  It could take you a few weeks to figure out tcpdump,
Ethereal,
and the SMTP commands going back and forth.

Marco

Thanks for the response.  If tcpdump is complicated, yes definitely I should
study it myself.

Actually, I have just received the 7:15am EST e-mail at 9:00am EST.  It came
an hour and 45 minutes after it was sent and after I received several other
e-mails (for testing, I'm sending one out every 15 minutes).

You seem to be right on the queue issue.

I have never seen this happen when I used SSMTP on windows to send automatic
e-mails.  Could this be because my sendmail is configured improperly so
headers don't appear correctly and for some reason the ISP needs to repair
it?

I'll contact the ISP.  It seems to happen with too much frequency for it to
be just an SMTP problem haphazard occurrence.

Michael