up2date problems

        After registering the system with RHN I tried to run up2date and
this is what I get.

(mckstardb)root# up2date -l
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x096d79c8 ***
Abort

Where do I begin to look for the problem?

If a program or glibc is corrupted how can I correct this from the CDs?

I am afraid the backup that was done will have the same corrupted
program in it.

Thanks:
        Jack Allen