Linux red hat 4 enterprise compilation

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Sep 8 23:24:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 05:47:25PM -0500, Ignacio Gómez wrote:
> I´m about to buy a version of Linux redhat enterprise 4. I heard that there
> are two versions, compilation 4 or compilation 5 is it true? which is the
> difference?

There are no compilations.  There's Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (also
known as RHEL 4) and RHEL 4 Update 1.  Your subscription to Enterprise
Linux grants you the right to run any version you like.  You can run
RHEL 2.1, RHEL 3, or RHEL 4.  When RHEL 5 comes out, you automatically
have the right to upgrade to it as long as your subscription is active.

RHEL 3 did Update 4 and Update 5 with U5 being the current.  Again, you
can run any version you need with a single subscription.

Once you activate your subscription, you can download the ISOs for any
version from Red Hat Network.  If you decide to get the original RHEL 4
ISOs, you can upgrade to Update 1 simply by running up2date.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA