How to build one binary for all Redhat systems?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Mon Sep 12 05:14:03 UTC 2005

Hello,

My development project's software must run on multiple Redhat-based
platforms (All the FedoraCore series, Redhat Enterprise Linux/Centos 4.x
and 3.x, possibly Redhat 9). I want to build as few binary flavors as
possible. My best scenario would find us building one binary that works on
all these platforms.

Is this possible? If not, can I build fewer binary packages then number of
platforms, and if so, which build systems should I build on?

Fyi, our software uses SystemV message queues extensively...in case this
happens to be system-dependent.

More details here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=362514

-Matt