Physical memory showing 256MB instead of 2GB

Opesh opeshalkara at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:00:22 UTC 2005

Hi Marshal,

----- Original Message -----
From: "McDougall, Marshall (FSH)" <MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 8:37 PM
Subject: RE: Physical memory showing 256MB instead of 2GB

> "My RHEL 3.0 ES linux machine is showing 256 MB of physical memory
> instead of 2 GB..."
>
> In the bios on our Dell servers is a parameter " OS install mode on/off"

As I don't have physical access to the system...I could not tell what the
bios configuration is....but this seems to be the exact problem...as the
problem has come-up after the reinstallation of OS......

> If it is on then the machine will only report 256 MB of ram.  I don't

hhhmm....I believe it has been left on...

> know what kind of machine you have, but you might want to look at that.

Thanks for the information.....my Machine is Dell Power Edge 2650.......

--Oops