useradd

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Sep 12 11:45:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:50:52AM +0200, Alexander Ruhri wrote:
> I have a slight problem with useradd in RHEL3. When adding a new user, a
> file is created in /var/mail/<username>.
> This "feature" is not documented in the manpage, nor can I find a way to
> suppress this behavior.
> The problem is, that the users mailbox is /var/mail/<username>/inbox
>
> The other  issue is, that I would like to make some other custom
> changes, when adding users (adding to maillist, creating maildir, adding
> to smbpasswd...). In debian there is a local script, which is executed
> after adduser.

What I've been doing for many years is to write my own adduser script
that our Help Desk runs.  It does stuff like generate an appropriate
password, adding to smbpasswd, setting up group membership, etc.  It's
not hard to have it call useradd.  You could delete the empty mailfile
if you want.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA