Xorg failure after update

Josh Forman jforman at post.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 19 05:13:32 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I recently installed FC4 on my Acer Travelmate 2304 notebook.  I spent
a few hours getting everything I wanted installed and configured --
everything booted normally, I used ndiswrapper to get the wireless
card working, etc.  Since this is my first real foray into Linux, I
was happy to get this far.

When I used the graphical updater (is this just a yum wrapper?),
however, I chose to install everything, and after an hour of downloads
and updates I restarted the machine.  When it came back up, the kernel
begins to boot normally and then in the middle of the boot a messed up
Acer logo appears on the screen (very distorted), and the machine
hangs.  I've discovered that I can boot at runlevel 3 normally into
text mode, but startx causes the same distorted acer logo to appear.

I ran Xorg - configure and got a message about the mouse not being
recognized.  Since it worked fine before, I'm guessing something
seriously messed up my X install.  Any ideas on what could be going
wrong?

FYI, I actually reinstalled FC4 from scratch once to see if this was a
one-shot problem, and I get the same behavior consistently only after
running the graphical updater.

Thanks in advance,
Josh