How to create usb boot disk?

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed Sep 21 03:32:25 UTC 2005

I do this with my computers for kickstart all of them from a central
server:

To build a bootable memory stick, perform the following steps:

a.	Format the USB stick as one big FAT partition: "mkdosfs
/dev/sdb1"
b.	Copy everything from the CD:/RedHat/isolinux to the memory
stick.  You can omit isolinux.bin, boot.cat, and TRANS.TBL
c.	Rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg
d.	Copy the initrd.img from CD:/RedHat/images/pxeboot to the memory
stick.  (At present I believe the two initrd.img's are the same)
e.	Modify syslinux.cfg to suit your needs.  I specify mine to boot:

linux ks=nfs:myserver:/somedir/ks.cfg

f.	Make the memory stick bootable: "syslinux /dev/sdb1".  Remember
to unmount the memory stick prior to performing this.
g.	Boot from stick

Good luck!