ssh alternatives

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed Sep 21 04:38:31 UTC 2005

I had the same problem.  In the end, I determined that my user base only
gets remote access in from several ISPs, so I allow those ISP in through
/etc/hosts.allow.

I still keep an eye on the ssh logs for any attempts through those ISPs
but it happens rarely, plus we enforce strong passwords here as well.

Our organization is employing VPN access to those who need it so in the
near future our users will have to VPN into the organization, then ssh
to the machines they need access to.  I've been testing it and it works
well, but concerned about the process of getting a VPN account.

Ryan