Errata and update releases

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Thu Sep 22 13:19:09 UTC 2005

What is the rule-of-thumb pertaining to applied errata in an update
release?  I need to maintain supported systems via sneakernet.  I have
the latest updated ISOs for RHEL3 and RHEL4 and want to make sure that I
have all of the errata packages, too.  Can I correctly assume that
anything released since the update is all that I need, or do I need to
additionally obtain errata packages released on or near the update
release?  I know I can check these current updates against the errata,
but I want to know for future reference.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information
<mailto:clarkp at osti.gov>