4GB installed - RH reports 3.2?!?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:15:13 UTC 2005

On 9/23/05, Smith, Albert <Albert.Smith at genexservices.com> wrote:
> By default on most configs the default kernel installed will either be
> the EL or the SMP EL kernel. It's not difficult to add the additional
> kernel. I would just do an up2date kernel-hugemem  and it will pull down
> the current hugemem kernel and dependents. This is assuming you are on
> the RHN.

I'm curious about this as the hugemem kernel generally isn't necessary
for only 4GB of ram. I've heard of this same problem with opterons and
iirc it was related to how memory was allocated to devices sharing
memory on the PCI bus (AGP I think was the culprit in the case I'm
thinking of). In that case there was a bios setting that "recovered"
the memory.

I'm just tossing this out as a possibility, I'm not very confident and
don't have a good understanding of the memory situation on x86_64
systems.

John