4GB installed - RH reports 3.2?!?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:52:36 UTC 2005

On 9/23/05, Smith, Albert <Albert.Smith at genexservices.com> wrote:
> The General Rule of thumb is < 4G use the standarded kernel 4G > use the
> hugemem kernel. It won't hurt anything if you use the hugemem kernel and
> not have a greater then or equalk to 4gig. It just opens up some
> additional addressing and it could help with memory detection.

The release notes seem to suggest it is only necessary for systems
with either more than 16GB of memory or for systems where one wants
4GB per process user space and mentions that it does introduce extra
overhead which may or may not be something you notice. Anyway, won't
hurt anything to try it or the SMP kernel. Both have PAE support and
both support well more than 4GB of memory.

I still wonder if this isn't the PCI hole reserved for 32-bit support
though ... it sounds very much like that to me.

John