smart(?) quotes and man pages

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:42:30 UTC 2005

On 25/09/05, John Rothschild <devnull13 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with smart(?) quotes when displaying man pages on
> a remote RHEL 4 machine.  Instead of showing up as quotes, they are
> showing up as special characters or escape characters.  The locale is
> set to "en_US.UTF-8", but changing it to "en_US" or "C" doesn't help.
> Described below is an example of the problem.  Any ideas you may have
> are greatly appreciated.
>
> 1.  ssh (or telnet) from a non-RHEL 4 machine  (RHEL 3.x or Solaris 8
> have been used as test machines) to a machine running RHEL 4.
> 2.  Run 'man ls'
> 3.  Search for dired (It's about a page down.)
> 4.  On the next line that starts with "generate output", do you see a
> quote after the word "emacs" or do you see special characters?

I've had this problem using Putty as a terminal and it's always been
caused by the character set in terminal emulation being set to, at
least in the case of Putty, ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe).
Switch that to UTF-8 in the Translation dialog in settings and then
the quotes after dired in the ls man page display properly.

I'd have to have a look on a local console once I'm in work tomorrow
for further investigation.

Will.