Loosing IP address

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Tue Apr 4 15:28:02 UTC 2006

This is probably because both of your cards are set to dhcp.  Your
machine is now getting confused.  In addition, yoiur default route
is also probably getting over-written.  This is because your inet
interfaces are "fighting" each other everytime they refresh their
settings.

Usually you have two inet interfaces because one interface is going to
the real world, the other is going to a private non-routable network.
If this is the case, what you want /can do is set your outside world
interface to dhcp,and hardcode the settings WITH NO GATEWAY for your
internal network.

If the problem is just dns, what you want to do is tell one of your
inet devices to not get its dns information from dhcp (it's an option in
the dhcp settings if you use system-config-network).

Usually with multi-card servers though, it's just safer to only have 1
dhcp device and hardcode the other.

Wayner

>>> kumar.padiyath at psi.ch 04/04/06 2:35 am >>>

  Hello,
  I have a Linux (RedHat 4.0)installed machine having 2 network card.
  The netwotk configuration is DHCP. I have noticed that now and then
  I get for the "echo $HOSTNAME" output as 129.(This is our starting
  ip: 129.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of machine name. When I execute
  "ping machinename" from other machine I get correct IP address.
  I can logon to this machine from other machines with machinename
  as well as with IP address.
  After logging if I execute "echo $HOSTNAME" I get the correct name.
It
seems
  that Iam loosing the name after certain time(no idea when).From DNS
server
  I can always reach the machine with name and IP. Problem seems to be

  internal since Iam not getting correct name with "echo $HOSTNAME"
command.

  I have a second question regarding the netstat output:

   I have number of TIME_WAIT situation with netstat command:

   Ex: tcp        0      0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:43288
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:37925        TIME_WAIT   -
                                  ^                            ^
                                  I----------------------------I
                                              ^
                                       Same IP address always(IP
address
of the machine itself)

   How can I get rid of TIME_WAIT entries from netstat output without
restarting the machine?
   (restart network or with arp command?)

  Regards,
  Kumar
Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
Switzerland              |